Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Gonal-F, Days 3, 4 and 5

Days 3 and 4 -- We were at my parents' cottage. Trying to do this in a new place is always a little stressful, but it went okay. I requested a needle change (SF is in charge of the pen prep) on the second shot after one failed attempt. It seems to be that the closer I try to get to the centerline of my abdomen, the more it hurts. So I'm going to try staying a little farther out for the next few.

Day 5 -- this morning. We have an ultrasound appointment in a couple hours to see how things are progressing.

The excitement so far today is that I left the alcohol wipes and gauze at the lake, 2 1/2 hours away. SF suggested something from our well-stocked liquor cabinet, which would probably have worked fine, but I turned up my nose at it, and he ran to the drugstore for supplies.

Yes, I know alcohol is alcohol (except, as SF says, some alcohol is more equal than others), but ...

I guess the feeling comes closest to a superstition. We are given the steps to take. We follow the steps. The drugs work.

We deviate from the steps, the drugs do not work.

The more I think about it, the more it puts me in mind of the structuralism and fairy tales I studied in college:

interdiction --> violation of the interdiction --> bad stuff

Don't venture off the path, or you'll never have a child.

No comments: