Saturday, June 2, 2007

Replaced with pudding

For the first time in months, we don't have any medicine in our house. None on the shelf of the fridge, none on the counter, none in the mail. Instead, we have bowls of butterscotch pudding cooling on the empty shelf in the fridge. It's a nice feeling, for the moment.

So far as I know, yesterday's ultrasound couldn't have been better. I have a 12 mm lining, 8 follicles, and good hormone levels. The doctor cautioned us that even cycles that look great on paper don't always result in pregnancy, but for now I'm going to hold onto the idea that things are looking good. He decided we had the "luxury" of one more day of stims, and the nurse gave us a sample so we didn't have to order (and pay for) another pen. We're to add progesterone suppositories for 12 days starting Monday. I'm not looking forward to that, but I'm game if it might help.

All this has had me thinking about his style of information-giving. Each cycle that we've learned had a problem, we thought was going smoothly. When I was on Femara and ovulated, we thought that was great. Later on, we found out the eggs were probably of poor quality. When I was on Follistim and ovulated, we thought that was great, too, but later found out our numbers weren't so hot -- 4 follicles when the doctor wanted to see 6-8. Last cycle, my numbers were up and we thought that was great, but the hormone levels showed I probably ovulated too early meaning, again, poor quality eggs. This time, we think he's fixed all of those problems, but I can't help but wonder what's out there that our doctor hasn't told us? What is he seeing on the ultrasounds and in the blood work that we don't yet know to look for?

I realize this is not an exact science, and I try to ask questions, but sometimes I don't know the questions to ask.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Mmm--butterscotch pudding!

Think about it this week--it's a process of elimination. Eventually, there won't be any more problems to overcome, and you'll be pregnant. Right? Right?

JF said...

That's the goal! I'm hoping for the day when we don't start off consults with our doctor's recap of The Story So Far, where the last sentence starts with "frustratingly."