Friday, November 16, 2007

Questions abound

We have our initial IVF appointment tomorrow. It lasts about an hour. I'm not yet sure what it entails. They call it a "lecture." And so the IVF intimidation begins.

We usually talk to one of two nurses at our clinic. I've noticed we get consistently more complete information over the phone from one than from the other. This afternoon, I got a call from the mail-order pharmacy on my cell phone while I was at work. They were calling to confirm the list of medicines ... which I haven't yet seen (presumably it will be part of the lecture?) and which didn't match what I thought they had described at the consult last week.

I called the nurses' voicemail and left a message. For some reason, when they returned the call, my phone didn't ring. It was the less-complete nurse, and she left a message that didn't answer my questions ... but since the phone didn't actually ring, I couldn't ask them directly to her. She said the calendar of what medicine to take when should be in my mailbox when I got home, and it would explain everything.

It was. But it didn't. Not only does it also not match what I understood from last week, it also doesn't have all of the medicines the pharmacy listed on it. The procedure week was also four weeks earlier on the calendar than they said last week.

We'll get it all cleared up tomorrow, in plenty of time. Maybe they thought we didn't ask enough questions last week, so they spoonfed us some really obvious ones.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Hope your 'lecture' goes well and you get all your questions answered.

JF said...

Thanks! The nurse answered everything I could think of ... I suspect I inadvertently earned some eyerolly points because she could tell from the questions I had been looking at stuff on the web.

But ... IVF is complicated and different for everyone, and I didn't believe everything I read on the Internet. I asked.