Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Power

In college, my roommate and I marvelled at the power we had to control our periods using only the power of our minds. If we wanted them to come, they didn't. If we didn't want them to come, they did. The Power carried us through vacations, formal dances, exams, you name it.

In spite of all of the other madness surrounding infertility treatments, I have not lost The Power. I finished this month's round of birth control on Sunday night, and I really, really, really wanted my "visitor" to arrive as soon as possible so as not to make the ultrasounds conflict with Easter weekend. We're now at Maundy Thursday and she's only phoned to say she'll be here ... sometime soonish ... probably.

I am, of course, completely freaking out about getting the ultrasound scheduled at the proper time. If you ever think trying not to have a baby makes you an expert at period math, just wait until you're trying to have one. If regular period math is like arithmetic, this is like statistics and probability, and it never leaves your head:

"If it starts today, then the ultrasound must be Friday or Saturday, if they even do them the Saturday before Easter, but if it doesn't start until tomorrow, I need to call as soon as possible, because maybe they'd be able to fit me in before the holiday, but what if the blood lab isn't open, and if it starts Saturday I need to get ahold of them that morning because Monday will be the only day possible for an ultrasound, and what if it's one of those ones that starts with spotting and how do I figure out what's day one in that case because if we miss it everything will be messed up and wrong and we will never have a child and it will be even more all my fault than it already is."

Jeez ... maybe I shouldn't be surprised she hasn't shown up. I wouldn't want to visit me, either.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Hey there, just found your blog through Stirrup Queens. I know exactly what you mean about doing all the math in my head. For me, it's more like, "Will we be at my parents' house during the time M and have to get busy?" Don't laugh--that actually happened over Christmas, and it was very, very uncomfortable. Going at it while we could hear my mother walking down the hall just outside the door...

Ann said...

BTW--I love your blog title!

JF said...

Ohhh ... no laughs there! We had that happen once, too, at my in-laws' house over a holiday. Seems like things always time themselves as inconveniently as possible, doesn't it?

We were at my parents' house on Easter when we started this round of shots. I almost wanted to make them watch -- "see! see how hare we're working to give you grandkids!"